Ringing in the New Year

Sessions front

While winter resists to move on quickly, and the grass in the fields, gardens and other green areas is dormant, what a better way to kill time (until spring comes) than to open up an antique mantel clock, disassemble it, investigate it and hopefully put it back together again. Before I continue I should say than I am not a horologist and certainly no expert in clock repairing, but I like discovering why a clock is not working. You would be surprised how many times simply looking at the movement (the moving parts and pieces inside) helps you identify what the problem is. And that is already a lot.


It is true that scythes and mantle clocks have nothing in common. However keeping good timing helps even when mowing!


This Sessions mantle clock was my first one. It was filthy inside and outside, and I observed that the movement—except for the missing pendulum—was complete. There was no sign of a big problem. So I got a pendulum. It ran for a few minutes and stopped. But all it needed was a small adjustment, and a lot of patience, Finally it is running with the precision expected from a clock.

Case and face

Here is an ongoing bigger project. I have the case, the face and a few other parts. Now I just need to find the remaining missing parts and put it together in the next few weeks (or months)

Gilbert face open

This nice Gilbert also needed a few minor adjustments and now keeps the time very well, but it chimes the way it wants and as many times it wants. and other times it chimes and don’t stop until it runs out of wind.


So I will disassemble it and try my best to put it back into working order.


If you have pets, sometimes is a good idea to close the toilet lid!

Happy Holidays


Since these days there is little to mow, and the blades are all clean, sharpened and in good shape, I went to spend a little time in the woods. In order to keep my hands busy, I brought home a few nice pieces of branches that I cut from a dry, fallen old oak tree.

What I needed from those little branches was a 10-inch fork. The project this time was to make a slingshot to take care of a few unwanted creatures encroaching in the neighborhood.


It is relatively easy, inexpensive and you don’t need much to complete the project. Imagination? Not even that, because it is self-explanatory. All you need are some rubber bands that you buy over the internet or maybe an inner tube from a bike’s tire, and a piece of leather to hold the stone back as you stretch the rubber bands and, last but not least, a pocket full of rocks! Once the project was complete, I tried a few shots to warm up, testing both the artifact and the person (the last time I used one was at least 40 years ago). It worked perfectly, and I now rush to finish these lines so I can go to my post and wait for those not needed creatures to show up.


This is a closer look at how I inserted the rubber bands into the arms of the fork.


And finally after all that work the whole thing paid. I caught the bad guy, I saved the skin and hung it on the wall.

Happy Holidays. Feliz Navidad and Stay sharp my friends..